Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm (almost) a runner!

So, this past Saturday marked my first official training with Team in Training. It was so cool to see how many people are supporting the cause and raising money! Now, over the past month or so, I have started doing interval training-- the walk/run approach to begin becoming a runner.

Mind you, calling what I am doing "running" is really overstating it. I'm jogging. I'm jogging incredibly slowly. I can power walk faster than I can job. But, all those things aside, I have made some progress, and while I still can't run a whole three miles without walking, I can run MORE than I walk, and I can run for longer intervals than I could when I started.

It was SO hot and humid during the run, but luckily a girl I went to college with has signed up with Team in Training also. She and I are about on the same level, so we jogged together, and I think having someone there helped me to push myself a little further. I am in the slowest running group (I run about a 14 minute mile right now), but the point is that I am out there doing it!!! I hope speed will happen a little later on as I get better with the endurance part of it, but regardless of whether I have to run, walk, or crawl, I am going to be crossing that finish line.

Besides, I have all those Olympic athletes on tv right now to encourage me. Have you seen their abs???? I'm training for 2012, baby!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I am SO glad that we have each other as "running" partners. I know you pushed me to go longer than I've ever been able to before. I am looking forward to crossing that finish line in January!