Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The low down

This post doesn't have any particular focus, it's more of a catch up of what I have been up to.

The only real downer about doing Team in Training is that my Friday nights have to be fairly tame. Enough sleep and no hangover makes for a better Saturday morning run. Last Friday night, D and I went to Mixers and Elixers at the Museum of Natural Science. I had a couple of cocktails, browsed the gem vault, checked out the geosphere, and we caught the Grand Canyon movie on IMAX. It was very fun, and we got home around 10ish. Well, D ended up going out with some friends, and while that didn't bother me.... I just wanted to go out too. :). It's somewhat of a foreign concept to me to not go out drinking with a group when there is a group drinking.

However, I thanked myself on Saturday morning when I went to Memorial Park. We are currently meeting at 7am, but it will change to 6am once we increase our running distances. The run itself was pretty rough, I wasn't feeling as good as I had the previous week, but I somehow managed to cut 4 minutes off my time. I consider that I small victory.

I spent much of the rest of Saturday alternately napping and watching Olympics. D and I went out Saturday night with a big group for El Tiempo, and then we went back to Erin and Stephen's to watch more Olympics and drink. I so, so, so love American swimmers. And not just Michael Phelps. He's great, but there are a few others that I have even greater affection for (Aaron Piersol, Ryan Lochte, Jason Lezak, MWAH).

Sunday was spent running errands and being lazy. We saw Tropic Thunder, which was an awful, awful movie. Controversy aside, I don't understand the critical acclaim the movie has received. In no way, shape, or form was it funny, and Jack Black's character makes you want to tear out part of the movie screen just so you don't have to watch his train wreck of a performance. Just my two cents.

Tonight is my first TNT track night, which helps us work on speed, breathing, and the other stuff besides just distance. I look forward to it, only because I have accepted that I suck, and I need all the help I can get :). But the good news is that I am out there doing it, I am sticking with the program, I have been doing every run according to the training schedule on my own, and I feel kind of proud of myself. This is such a huge endeavour for me, I've NEVER been a runner.

Tonight the friends also come in town!!!!!! Samantha is getting married this weekend, so she, Nell, Chacko, and I will all be reunited for the next few nights to participate in wedding related extravaganzas. I am very excited to see them all, spend time with them, and have a fabulously tipsy reunion.

I adore my friends!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I wish I were doing as well staying on schedule as you are!

We can totally have loser Friday nights together! Ice cream and movies!

Also, I'm going to the Mixers and Elixirs thing this Friday for a friend's birthday. Good times!

I miss running with you!