Monday, September 8, 2008

Stand up to Cancer

I am really, really disappointed that I didn't get to see Stand up to Cancer on Friday night. I had to attend a work event that I organized, and unfortunately, we don't have Tivo at home. However, I have read about the event and the incredible amount of money they have raised, and I am excited and proud. There isn't a lot to be excited about when you get cancer, but I am proud to be a part of a community that is so strong and so determined to give back. Being a member of the cancer club is not a membership that people want, but it creates a bond between its members that people on the outside can't quite understand.

I am proud to be a survivor. I am proud that I am doing something to ensure that we cut off membership from this club. For a couple months, Stand up to Cancer was airing a commercial prior to movies in the theater featuring celebrities literally standing up while an Eddie Vedder song played in the background and Sidney Poitier narrated. Every single freakin time that commercial aired, I found myself getting incredibly choked up... but also moved. Moved that so many as as determined as I am to put an end to this horrible epidemic.

Saturday morning was a run out at Memorial, but prior to the run, it was time for me to introduce myself to the group. I am an honored teammate this season for Team Memorial, which means I kind of serve as living proof of why people are out there. I don't think many people knew at that point that I was the girl whose bio page on the Team in Training website talked about her cancer story. I think most people just thought I was another runner out there. Next weekend is the honored teammate breakfast which I am unable to attend, so I wanted to say hello and thank everyone for getting involved. As I stood on a picnic table and looked out into the crowd of about 50 or so faces, I started getting choked up again. My voice was very shaky as I addressed the crowd, but I didn't cry. I told them a little bit about my cancer story, how I got involved with Team in Training, and I said thank you to everyone. I shudder to think of how I sounded, of how my voice must have squeaked, but I hope I gave people a little more motivation/inspiration? I don't know, I'll do anything to get people as excited as I am about finding a better, faster, more efficient cure for blood cancer!

Saturdays run was 4 miles, and it was awesome. Awesome weather, and something just "clicked". Definitely my best run yet. D and I hopped to Frisco after that, went to a Beach Boys concert with his folks on Saturday night, and then celebrated his mom's birthday party on Sunday evening. Needless to say, we didn't make it home until very late last night, and I am very tired today, but it was a good weekend. Very good weekend.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

The run was definitely awesome.

And you sounded great!