Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shredded

In an effort to expand my workout repertoire, I've been trying to cross train in order to not get bored of any one workout and build strength. Clearly, I'm going to have to devote the majority of my time to running soon, but I don't want to forget things like strength training and swimming laps.

It's been so freakin hot in Houston that I've thusfar limited my running to twice a week (which will change starting in August), and I'm trying to do something different on other days. I was also looking for a shorter, but effective workout that I could do at home on those days where I didn't have a lot of extra time, and that brought my to Jillian Michaels and the 30 day shred.

Jillian is one of the trainers on the show Biggest Loser, and she's an animal. Very in shape, the type of woman who could probably lift a car over her head (I exaggerate only slightly!). She has created this ridiculous workout program called the 30 day shred. It's only a 30 minute workout, but you are moving the entire time, you are working multiple muscle groups at once, and she combines strength training with cardio and abs. I was skeptical at first that this could be an effective workout, but I'm now a believer. She has kicked my butt the last two nights. Profuse sweating is involved. My body is incredibly achy today, but it's a satisfying ache.

Tonight I return to the great hot outdoors to run with running buddy K. It's hellaciously hot outside, but we've got to do it. There are 13.1 miles to be run, and it sneaks up on your incredibly quickly. Tomorrow is a day off, and then Friday is back to running. On the weekends, D and I head to the gym, where I do some interval running on the treadmill and weights. And I'll throw in some swimming every once in a while when I want to buck the heat. It's working for me for now.

I'm taking a vacation day on Friday because I can, and then saturday I'm buying my veil!!!! Very psyched about this, it will make my wedding "outfit" almost complete. The dress and veil are something new..... any suggestions for old, borrowed, and new?

No comments: