Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The job

I do really like my job, but some days I feel like I am flying blind. One would think that having a JD under your belt would immediately qualify you for a ton of careers, but I've rapidly discovered that isn't necessarily the case.

When I first decided to enter the non profit sector, I was mostly applying to cancer-related non profits since I had that personal connection. I got a lot of interviews as a result of a very powerful cover letter. The problem is that even though I had this fantastic resume with lots of wonderful education, I had very little in term of work experience, and NO non profit experience. So, a lot of interviews turned into zero offers.

It was very discouraging to think that I had finally found the kind of work I felt I was meant to do, and no one would give me a chance. I HAD CANCER!!!!! What better person could you send in to ask a company for money than a moderately attractive, articulate cancer survivor???? Apparently, they thought there were lots, so I was not hired.

So, thinking I wouldn't get a chance in the non profit world, I decided to look at legal work as a temporary fix to my unemployment problem. I met with lots of people, all of whom told me that I really needed to wait until my bar results came out before they could help me. At that time, bar results were still two months away, and I was becoming incredibly sick of being the errand girl, dog walker, and laundry doer at home. I needed some purpose, a reason to get up in the morning. I was about to forgo money and look into volunteer opportunities when I stumbled upon my current job.

I was meeting with a couple ladies from a legal services group that helps people find contract opportunities as well as lateral positions. They were mainly meeting with me as a favor to my mother who works for one of their clients. After quizzing me for a while on my skills, one of the ladies finally asked me what I wanted to do. I was honest, and I let them know that I was really interested in the non profit world, but that I was having difficulty breaking in. The head of the company told me that her good friend was the executive director of a nonprofit, and they were looking for a new Outreach Manager. The ED was a former attorney, and the non profit, while not cancer-related, was focused on curing a very serious disease. I was referred to the ED, interviewed twice, and then offered the position. Despite of lack of experience in the non profit sector, what my position really called for was empathy in dealing with a major diagnosis, which I believe I have in spades.

So, after that long journey, I have finally become a part of the non profit sector, and while I'm still learning my way around, I'm extremely happy to be here. Far happier than I would have been had I stayed on course and become a lawyer. Far less compensated, but as I've learned over the past year (prepare for incredible cheesiness), money can't buy happiness. And I can't put a price tag on the amazing life I'm living now.

No comments: