Monday, June 16, 2008

Sunday Funday- My new favorite tradition

We have established a new family tradition for Summer 2008 known as Sunday Funday. Danny and I pile up and head over to my sister's house to spend the day swimming, playing with her kids, drinking, and eating. It's fabulous, and the best way to go back into Monday. My sister currently lives in the house I grew up in, which is situated on a 1 acre lot in Bellaire. It boasts a huge backyard and a big swimming pool, which I am adoring, since last summer I wasn't allowed to get near water or sun.

We head over there early afternoon, and they fire up the grill and pore the sangria. We play with the kids, help them learn how to swim (they are ages 6, 4, and 2), and mingle with the myriad of other people who drop by for the day. It's a general policy that Sundays at the Mullen's function as an open house, and everyone is invited.

And the kids are awesome. Patrick is 6, and he's already a pretty good swimmer. Charlie is 4, and within about a two week period, we taught him how to swim, and he's jumping off the diving board. And Ann-Marie.... she is 2, impossibly adorable, and so sweet. She hang on to my neck, and we swim around the pool and hang out. She almost returned home with Danny and I last night, but work today didn't make it feasible.

The rest of the weekend was pretty great too. Friday night was a birthday celebration dinner for Foster at El Tiempo followed by the Velvet Melvin. Mango Margaritas and Miller Lite were my choice of beverages for the night, because El Tiempo Micheladas weren't doing it for me. I have yet to find a Michelada that even comes close to 100% Taquito.

Saturday D and I went did a movie double header- The Happening (awful) and Incredible Hulk( quite entertaining). We went for sushi, popped to the Galleria for a while (despite my hatred of malls, we decided to take advantage of the Father's Day sales so he could get some new work stuff), and then we actually made it to the gym. I so, SO, SO want to lose some weight, so we are trying to be diligent about it.

Most people think cancer patients lose weight, but I somehow was the anomaly that gained weight. To be fair, most food made me want to vomit my guts out, with the exception of mac n cheese and milkshakes. So, in the interest of not losing weight to maintain my immunity, I indulged. For 7 months. Hmm.

I'm putting my weight loss goal out there so that everyone can hold me accountable. I'm going to hit the gym, eat better (most of the time), and try to return to my pre-cancer fighting weight.

We'll see how this goes. :)

No comments: