Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Race to a reception

I cannot get weddings off the brain. I feel like I will be far more relaxed once I get a reception location. I have seen three places so far, liked two, and determined that one is a fair price. I have three more to check out, but my weary little brain doesn't have much more patience for the process.

I understand why people hire wedding planners. It makes things a whole lot easier to have someone setting up appointments for you, helping you to narrow down places before you even see them, getting valuable advice about things.... but, at the same time, I also think it would be just hugely wasteful to spend money on one when my mom and I really are perfectly capable of doing it on our own. I'd rather invite 10 more guests than pay a wedding planner. But, it would be nice if someone would do it pro bono ;).

I never really thought about all this stuff before I got engaged, but I feel like I'm getting a crash course right now. It makes me tired. I get excited when I do something that allows me to mark a check on the list (for instance, I bought my wedding dress last weekend, and I wish I could wear it every day because I love it so much), but it's a process to get there.

Now, reception locations. It's interesting, because I don't really know what I am doing, but I do know what I like. I knew immediately the first place I went wasn't going to be the spot. It didn't feel.... special. It felt small, cramped, and kind of cheesy. The second place I went to felt spacious, and although it was an older building, an older location, and probably not as "hip", I loved some of the really traditional aspects. The last place I visited was lovely, but I almost snorted in the man's face when he listed prices. I frankly don't understand how anyone in these economic times can charge those prices and expect to continue getting a lot of business. I could tell he was pretty desperate for my business, he kept invading my personal space, complimenting me, and asking what he could do to convince me to hold my reception there. I almost felt sorry for him, but not sorry enough to want to be there.

There are a million venues in Houston, but I don't have the patience to wade through them all, so I'm going to make a decision by the end of the weekend. I just need to pick a place that makes me happy, and move on.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Good luck! And let me know if I can do anything to help!