Monday, April 6, 2009

A "spending diet"

As I was heading to bed last night, I watched a special after the nighttime news called "Stretching your Dollar", where they talk about lots of ways to save money in this day and time. I actually heard some pretty good ideas, and one of them is called the "spending diet". It's pretty simple- for one week, you don't spend any money. Of course, I imagine it's a lot harder in practice.

But, I did my grocery shopping yesterday, so I have plenty of food, and I'm willing to give this spending diet a try. I'm not going to spend any money from now until next Sunday.

It sounds easy, but I already see some obstacle's on the horizon.....

For instance, D and I are going to the baseball game on Wednesday night. They are his firm's tickets, so those are free. However, I can't imagine going to a baseball game and not buying some beer. And a hot dog! Isn't that part of the fun of baseball? I have yet to figure out a solution for that one. Maybe if D buys my beer? But, does his money count as my money? So complicated!

I honestly don't spend that much in a week. I generally bring my lunch every day, and I cook dinner most nights. But, little things come up. I'll stop and get frozen yogurt, or buy a magazine or something..... I would like to eliminate gratuitous spending along those lines. I really don't need anything. So, I'm going to give this a try, and maybe turn it into a permanent situation of only spending money one day a week to replenish things like groceries, maybe go out one night.... we'll see.

They also featured a woman who started a practice of saving all of her $5s. Anytime she got a 5, it got stashed away, and in a matter of months, she had over $1,000. Granted, this was a woman who stopped using credit cards, so she always had more cash on hand than the average person, but I think it's an interesting idea. A $5 is a small enough denomination that you won't really miss it if you put it away, but large enough to add up in the big picture.

The featured another lady who is one of those super coupon users. She writes a blog on finding deals on the internet, and how to maximize coupons. Last year, she challenged herself to spend only $800 for the entire year on groceries for a family of 4. She came in $40 under the $800, which astounds me. I spend that much in two months at the grocery store! I don't think I'll be going to those extremes, because I imagine $800 limits you incredibly as to what you can eat, and limits the amount of fresh items you can buy, but I will try and utilize more coupons.

I'm almost exactly a year out from our wedding, and I want to become even smarter about our money. I want to make sure we save early and often so that we are able to have the kind of life we would like!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

This sounds like a great idea! I am going to steal it from you!

Want to get together sometime for a bottle of wine that has already been paid for and therefore doesn't count?