Monday, November 24, 2008

Opa!

This weekend was the Greek festival. Friday night I enjoyed the festival as an overeating, boozing visitor, Saturday I morphed into a Greek pizza making volunteer. I ate so much food this weekend. Between D and I, we ate about a million souvlaki (beef tenderloin marinaded in goodness and served on a stick), Lokumades (donut hole looking things with a hot honey glaze and powdered sugar), pastizio (a Greek pasta dish with meat), Greek salad (greek salad), gyro (thin slices of lamb/beef with veggies and a cucumber yogurt sauce), rice pudding (duh), and much more. I butchered the spelling on some of that stuff, so please forgive me :).

We met up with one of D's buddies from work on Friday, ate and drank at the festival, and then went to a bar in midtown. Saturday I missed my 10 mile run from overindulgence the night before, but we still woke up fairly early to be the the festival at 10. I was on my feet for the better part of 8 hours making pizzas, which was actually pretty fun. It was a good group in the booth, and I felt kind of like a short order cook. We assembled the pizzas, and then they went through a conveyor belt oven, which took about 3 minutes. There was definitely some back-up at points, because the kids preferred pizza over some of the other food, so it made us a popular booth. We finally left after dark and took our tired bones home.

I have a new found respect for anyone in a job where you are on your feet all day. My back was throbbing, my knees hurt, my arms were tired..... I was sore all over. I'm actually glad I missed my run, because there is no way I could have run 10 miles and then stayed on my feet all day. I'm going to make up my run tomorrow afternoon when I get off of work early for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Sunday we were slow to get moving in the morning, but we spent all day going from furniture store to furniture store looking for a new couch. We went by our new place and took measurements, and we found a pretty awesome chocolate brown leather couch. It's incredibly comfortable, and we got a really good deal. I LOVE buying stuff for the home, so it was an exciting day for me. We finished our long day of shopping at Pappas Burger, and then went to Swirll for some frozen yogurt. I crashed so hard last night, and now I'm just trying to make it a day and a half till my holiday begins!

No comments: