Monday, December 22, 2008

Mad, mad men

D picked up the first two disks of the first season of Mad Men this weekend, and we plowed right through them. This show is pretty cool. It's crazy to see how different things were in the 60s. I have been getting slightly nauseated from all the smoking they do in every episode. It also blows my mind at the way in which women were treated. It was a sexist, chauvinist society, and women just had to take it. I'm sure the cultural norms have been heightened for the purposes of entertaining television, but it's still, I believe, a somewhat accurate portrayal of the social norms at the time. If you haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it. Quality acting, interesting story lines, complex characters..... I'm a fan.

The big 12-miler came and went. I think it went pretty well considering. We finished, and we finished in a respectable time. I'm going to make it through this event, there's no doubt about it. I am so, so, soooooooo sore today, but I feel good.

Tonight I'm doing HH with one of my best friend's from high school, MC. She lives in NYC now, but happily, I've had the chance to see her a few times this year since friends have gotten married. I'm ready to kick back and continue to ring in the holiday season with a couple of cocktails. :) I ran 12 miles, I earned it :P

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

We totally made it! Almost there!

Oddly enough, I already had Mad Men at the top of my Netflix queue when I read this. Now I am even more excited!