Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, new me?

I don't like new year's resolutions. I think they set people up to fail, and why do we have to wait until the new year to start bettering ourselves?

However, I will agree there is something about the passage of another year that makes you reflective, and it makes you think about yourself and your life. I think I became a bit complacent in 2008. I don't think I worked to be the best "me" that I could. I think after 2007 being such a fight, after having to be strong and working for everything so hard, I just kind of wanted to coast. Coasting is not living. Coasting is taking the easy way out. I wouldn't say 2008 was a bad year, there were many highlights including taking and passing the bar, staying healthy, training for the half-marathon, getting engaged, finding a job...... but I don't think I pushed myself to the extent of what I am capable.

So, without putting it in terms of a new year's resolution, I want to spend 2009 becoming a better me, mind, body, and soul. I want to take my health seriously, which means dropping some pounds, eating better, and maintaining a commitment to exercise. I want to become a better, more adept cook in my new household. I want to strengthen the relationships in my life and make the people I love a priority. I want to become more fiscally responsible and forward thinking. I'm on the verge of getting married and starting my own family, and I want to make sure I'm able to provide for myself and the future.

I think by being the best me I can be, I'm going to be a lot happier. I think my happiness vacillates depending on whether I'm just coasting or living. I want to remember the lessons that having cancer taught me and live my life to the fullest extent. Corny, but true.

So, I'm asking my friends and readers to help hold me accountable to not a new year's resolution, but a total life makeover :).

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I basically feel the same way - no resolutions, just the life overhaul that keeps getting put off because I am busy, or sick, or whatever.

I would be more than happy to help support you in any way that I can - just let me know what you need!