Tuesday, July 15, 2008

For the last time.... I'll tell you when I AM engaged!!!

Dear everyone,

I am not engaged. I am in a serious relationship with marriage in my future, but I am not officially engaged yet. I do wear a "promise" ring on my left finger, but it doesn't mean that I am planning my wedding. Trust me, when the time comes, you will know.

Love, Kelli

Seriously, I get asked this question more frequently than any other. I think once a couple in their mid twenties and beyond has been in a serious relationship for over 6 months, people start swarming them, posing the marriage question, asking when babies are coming, wondering what city they will retire in. World, please! Slow down! Relax!

I love D with all my heart, and he loves me too. But we spent the past year dealing with some pretty heavy crap, and now we are taking time to enjoy our relationship without it revolving around cancer. There are some people in my life that the first thing they ask me every time I see them is "When are you getting married?" Please don't ask me this question. If I am happy with the state of my relationship, you should be happy too.

Some of the worst offenders are members of our own families. Apparently, over the 4th of July, D was grilled individually and collectively by his parents about when he would be proposing. Hey, note to world: guys aren't really into pressure. Lay off! The other night my elderly grandmother told me she wants me to get married before she dies. Suuurrreeeeeee, THAT doesn't make me feel any guilt!

Forgive me if I sound frustrated, but I am. I've never been in a happier place with my relationship, my life, my job, my friends.... but people seem to think something must be lacking if I don't have a (bigger) ring on my finger.

So, for now, please let us exist in a sinful peace, let us live together, have fun, and we'll get back to you when we have plans.

No comments: