Thursday, July 31, 2008

One minute

I have recently learned that a single minute can seem like the longest time period EVER. When there is one minute left in the day at work, I anxiously sit on my hands, waiting for the clock to strike 5. It literally seems as though it is going to be 4:59 forever, and I will be stuck in the office permanently, when all I can think about is going home, playing with the dog, eating dinner, running, and spending time with D.

One minute seems interminable when I am running. I'm doing an interval training program where I increase the time I am running and decrease the time I am walking each week. The last minute of my last run feel like it will never end. I feel like my body can't go one more step, like I want to fall down, curl into the fetal position, and die.

I was reminded again yesterday how long one minute can seem when it is your last minute in the cat scan machine. After several minutes of having to lay perfectly still, as soon as you know you are in the last minute, you get overrun by a sense of claustrophobia, you feel like the circular walls are closing in on you, you feel like screaming to let you out.

One minute. One tiny minute can seem so friggin long.

No comments: