Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm going to cure cancer!!!!!

I went to my Team in Training informational meeting last night, and I feel like I have been walking (or running) on air ever since. It was so completely inspiring, it just made me so excited about this journey I have decided to embark upon.

The meeting was small, only about 15 or so people, but they had TNT staff there, all of whom have participated in different TNT events and raised money for the cause, and they also have someone who is an "honored teammate". Each running group (I will be a member of the Memorial Park running group) has a couple of honored teammates. They are people who are currently going through cancer treatment. I feel like I met a kindred spirit last night in one of the honored teammates, a girl named Daphne. I walked in last night, and I could immediately tell she was a cancer patient because of her shaved head. She introduced herself, and asked me how I heard about TNT/decided to get involved. I told her I was a recent cancer survivor, and I decided to get involved after seeing how cool it was watching my sister and cousin run and raise funds for LLS last year. Well, that just got us off and running, talking about oncologists, losing hair, being a young cancer patient (she is 20, diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma last December). We chatted right up until the meeting started, and she was so inspirational to me. Sometimes I get far enough away from my treatment that I forget the horror of actually having to go through it, how tough it is on your body, how awful it is to lose your hair, how different it makes you feel from everyone else.

During the meeting they discussed the different events that they train people for, the fundraising process, and they showed a video about team in training which really pumped me up. They featured testimonials about the coaches they provide you with, the feeling of going from zero to marathoner in a few months, the awesome feeling of being a cancer survivor and proving to yourself that you can do something like this.... I almost broke down in tears about 30 times. I can talk about my cancer pretty objectively now, but you don't have to go too far under my skin to find my emotions.

I know the video is made to suck people in, but I have my own real life testimonials from Sue and Dana (sister and cousin) about how awesome the experience was. I attended their marathon last January, and I saw how everyone wearing a purple TNT shirt recognized you as someone who was rooting for them. It was an awesome feeling of a community united by a common cause, and it is something I want to be a part of.

So, I'm officially registered, and within a couple of days, they will email me the tools to set up my fundraising website. So, friends and family, watch out, because I'm coming after your money!!!

No comments: